Search Our Site

Get Connected!

Come and join our community. Expand your network and get to know new people!

For many, summertime means mosquitoes. This is also true in Greece, where the season brings the pesky pests with it. Luckily, there are many Greek remedies to keep mosquitoes away this summer.
If you are a prime target for the pesky buzzing bugs, here are some natural Greek remedies to help make mosquitoes go away and to treat bites.
First off, let’s start with some simple ways to help prevent mosquitoes from biting you.
How to prevent bites
Generally, covering your skin is considered one of the easiest ways to prevent mosquitoes from biting you.
In Greece, however, the last thing you want to have to do is wear long sleeves and pants all summer, as the temperature climbs near 100 degrees Fahrenheit almost daily.
One way to naturally repel mosquitoes is by preparing a concoction of essential oils that are very popular in Greece to apply to your skin.
In villages across the country, yiayias (grandmothers) will tell you to put a few drops of essential oil of lavender or citronella, or both, in a spray bottle with some olive oil and water, shake it up, and spray.
This natural remedy will help deter mosquitoes from biting you. You can even spray your bed linens and clothes for extra protection.
An added bonus to this safe and natural remedy is that you will smell delightfully botanical.

Basil is a natural mosquito repellent
Another thing that Greeks do to prevent mosquitoes from attacking is placing basil plants in their gardens and on their balconies.
As the plant naturally emits its aroma, which mosquitos hate, there is no need to crush it up to make any kind of spray. Just having the plant will keep the bugs away.
Additionally, the basil plant kills mosquito larvae, so if you have still water on your property, where mosquitos usually lay their eggs, place a basil plant nearby to keep them away.
Lavender plants, another popular part of a Greek balcony garden, are also effective in keeping mosquitoes away.

Greek remedies for itchy mosquito bites
Another favorite Greek remedy for mosquito bites is plain old vinegar. In fact, vinegar is a natural remedy that is used to cure an array of aliments in Greece.
In order to stop the itch of a mosquito bite, Greeks simply dab a cotton ball with some vinegar and apply it to the bite.
Not only does the swelling and itching go away, it is also thought to make the bite disappear faster.
Another Greek remedy that helps stop the itch or mosquito bites is using aloe vera.
Greeks have revered aloe vera as a universal panacea for more than 2,000 years. It works well for a variety of dermatological ailments, especially sun burns, of course.
All you need to do is cut off a fresh piece of aloe vera and rub the gel on your mosquito bites to make the itch go away.
Greek yogurt is of course another natural remedy Greeks use to make the itch of nasty mosquito bites stop.
Not only is yogurt is made with proteins that coat and soothe the skin from irritation, it also reduces inflammation. An added bonus is that the probiotics in Greek yogurt will help repair the skin and make it look less blotchy.



Generally speaking, there are mosquitos in Greece. The good thing is that they aren't everywhere. Expect to get bitten more times if you are next to a river, a stream, or a swamp... They tend to be present at places with water. What is more, when it's windy there are fewer chances to find mosquitos.


Paul Seebauer added a photo to Stream Photos album in Dosa House page 7 days ago

Paul Seebauer added a photo to Stream Photos album in Dosa House page 7 days ago

Paul Seebauer created a new page 7 days ago

Dosa House

Nitin Kapur and Sunil Fernandez have teamed up to open one of the most exciting Indian restaurants in Athens, Greece. Our Specialty is delicious...
Paul Seebauer has inserted new ad: 7 days ago

I am from India and in Athens now,looking for a studio apartment or a private ensuite room in Central Athens. Areas like koukaki ,pagrati ,exarheia.Can move in from Monday , If I like the place can stay long term .
Would be needing good wifi connectivity .Inbox me details and pictures.

Home-made food in Vyronas. Call: 215 55 599 56

Paul Seebauer created a new page 1 week ago

KoKomam - Home made food

Mousaka, Papoutsakia, Pasticcio, Giovarlakia, Spaghetti, Grilled, Salads, Fish, SoupsCall: 215 .55 599 56
Paul Seebauer has inserted new ad: 1 week ago

There are 2 rooms available (250€/room) in Ag. Nikolaos next to the green metro line. The rooms are fully furnished, with double glazed balcony doors and access to a beautiful patio on the 5th floor. The apartment is 9 min from Monastiraki by metro and 7 min from the Attiki station + there is a night bus (500). PM me for more info

Paul Seebauer has inserted new ad: 1 week ago

I'm looking for a Flatmate in my 2 bedrooms Apartment located in Kallithea, the Flat is 5 min walking to Kallithea Metro station (Green Line), shops really close to in the neighborhood (Bazaar in front of the House), fully equipped house.
Looking for someone under 30 years old. The flat will be shared with me only.
Room Already available!!
Price: 275 Bills NOT included.
For any kind of question, feel free!!

Paul Seebauer added a photo to Stream Photos album in The Trip page 1 week ago

Paul Seebauer created a new page 1 week ago

The Trip

garage punk, psychedelic sixties, rock, rock n roll, and more
Paul Seebauer added a photo to Stream Photos album in Spirit page 1 week ago

Paul Seebauer created a new page 1 week ago


We welcome you with one of the most delicious burgers you can find. It is made with a lot of love and many delicious, spicy, and adored caramelized...

Paul Seebauer created a new page 1 week ago

Rabbit Punch

Fine Spirits:  We at The Rabbit Punch are World Champions in Coffee in Good Spirits and awarded to boost your Spirit.Specialty Coffee: Think of...

Blind Beggar from the inside

Blind Beggar from the inside
Paul Seebauer created a new page 1 week ago

The Blind Beggar

With respect to the classic cocktails, it developed to the highest the flavors for its own, signature cocktails, using excellent quality spirits and...